In Building a Winning Business, I outline how we defined our core values at my firm, Intertech. We defined our values using an exercise form Jim Collins, notable business author. In the “Martian exercise”, we asked everyone to:
- Choose someone who represents our values, and
- Chose three adjectives to describe this person
After everyone chimed in, we combined synonyms and chose values that were unique and defined our team. We came up with:
- Attitude: Each day we choose our attitude. Attitude is contagious. For others to be positive, excited, and inspired, we must be.
- Commitment: As a team, we deliver. We demand more of ourselves than others could ask.
- Excellence: We’re committed to a world-class customer experience and world-class customer satisfaction.