1. Decide what reinvention and rediscovery means for you. Reinvention can mean anything from weight loss to a new career. The clearer you are about what reinvention and rediscovery look like for you, the easier the process becomes.
2. Begin the process. Set a date and do it! Reinvention won’t take place if it never starts. Thinking about it doesn’t count. Reinvention works best when you take action. Write down three actions you can take and complete them. For example, your action list could include: update your LinkedIn profile, call someone in your network you haven’t talked to lately and schedule coffee with them. This meeting is the beginning of researching the market for opportunities.
3. Identify and prioritize what you want to change first. Reinventing yourself can be overwhelming. The best way to overcome this is to break your changes down into steps. If your goal is to change careers, understand that changing careers involves many things. Take time to figure out a good starting point. It could be to take an inventory of your attributes and what makes your marketable. Or, it may be looking at what makes your energies flow; what you do well and where you exceed.
4. Set daily goals and measure your progress. Goal setting is essential in this process because it keeps you focused. Try not to set too many daily goals that you can’t complete. You’ll set yourself up for failure. Keep it simple and start with three goals per day.
5. Exercise for 30 minutes daily. Make it part of your routine. Physical activity boosts your endurance. You will look and feel better. This is your secret weapon. Staying power and stamina are very important in the reinvention process because there will be challenges. Exercise puts you in a position to break through and produce high gains.
6. Reward yourself regularly. Celebrate YOU. It takes courage to reinvent and rediscover yourself. When you reach a milestone goal, do something nice for yourself. Go to a movie, splurge on gelato-you’ve been exercising, so go for it!
Reinvention doesn’t happen overnight. You may find it takes longer than you anticipated so cut yourself some slack. View the process as an adventure and growth. Understand that you’ll be out of your comfort zone. That’s OK because rediscovery and reinvention move you into a new stage of your life and you’ll be even more successful than you are today!